COVID 19 Information
Return to Learn Plan
The Building Leadership Team has met and our Board of Education has reviewed our updated plan. We will continue to make decisions with the intention of doing what is best for our SPS students as a whole. This is a very fluid situation and one thing we can guarantee is that there will be changes. While we are continually planning and revising how school will look, we wanted to take a minute to reassure you of a few important points; All decisions made are intended to be in the best interests of our students and we desire to meet all students' educational, social, emotional, and spiritual needs to the best of our ability. The SPS community as a whole is here to support you, to help you with your fears and concerns related to the school. This plan has information for Preschool through 8th grade.
The Scott County Health Department, Iowa Department of Health, CDC and Diocese of Davenport have continued to emphasize the best ways to minimize risk:
- maintain social, physical distance
- wear a face covering when physical distance is compromised
- increase disinfection of surfaces
- wash hands or use hand sanitizer frequently
To keep our children, teachers and staff safe, we all need to work together keeping the greater good of our community ahead of our personal preferences during this time. We need to take care of our brothers and sisters in Christ.
COVID Exposures and Illness
Below is the guidance from the CDC regarding symptoms, exposure and quarantine guidance.
If You Test Positive for COVID-19 (Isolate)
Everyone, regardless of vaccination status.
- Stay home for 5 days.
- If you have no symptoms or your symptoms are resolving after 5 days, you can leave your house.
- Continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
If you have a fever, continue to stay home until your fever resolves.
If You Were Exposed to Someone with COVID-19 (Quarantine)
Have been boosted
Completed the primary series of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine within the last 6 months
Completed the primary series of J&J vaccine within the last 2 months
- Wear a mask around others for 10 days.
- Test on day 5, if possible.
If you develop symptoms get a test and stay home.
Completed the primary series of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine over 6 months ago and are not boosted
Completed the primary series of J&J over 2 months ago and are not boosted
- Stay home for 5 days. After that continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
- If you can’t quarantine you must wear a mask for 10 days.
- Test on day 5 if possible.
If you develop symptoms get a test and stay home
Notification of Cases in the school
When a student, teacher or staff member tests positive for COVID, an exposure letter will be sent to the parents of all students in that classroom. This will enable parents to watch their child for symptoms of Covid, take precautions, and test if necessary.
1:1 Device Program
- Students in grades 3-5 will have an iPad with a cover and keyboard.
- Students in grades 6-8 will have a MacBook laptop computer.
- In response to the need to keep computers and iPads sanitized, all students in grades 3-8 will have a device assigned to them for their use.
- The purpose of the 1:1 device program is to aid learning should a family choose to do online learning or for health reasons, contracting COVID
- There will be a $25 insurance fee and contract per student device to cover the cost of repairs or replacement if the device is damaged.
- If a family refuses to pay the $25 insurance fee and sign the contract, the student will not be allowed to take the device out of the building. It will be for in school use only.
- Main School Building - Parents and other adults may visit the school, as permitted by school policy.
- Do not enter the building if you have tested positive for COVID-19 or have symptoms.
- Early Learning Center - Visitors are NOT permitted to to enter the Early Learning Center.
DCSD oversees busing. Questions regarding health and safety measures taken on buses should be referred to (563) 386 -1436, Durham School Services.